Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Library Purchase Award for Student Artwork

Come into the library to see the newest piece in the Parkland Art Collection: Student Artwork, Library Purchase Award.

Liddia Stevens
Undercovers Water Lovers: Her
oil on canvas
2011




Liddia Stevens
Artist Statement: 
Art has always been a part of my life. I came to Illinois to study Medical Illustration. As my family grew I continued to take classes this time at Parkland. That first class with Jack Extrom got me involved with pastels and I started doing portraits of children. 

As my children and their friends aged so did my subject matter. In 1995 I again took a class with Jack this time in painting. My habit of choosing just the right color in pastel as opposed to mixing colors kept my paintings bright and vibrant. I love painting quirky subject matter of children and now young adults. 


This painting is one of three that I have done from pictures taken underwater with a flash camera and I hope to do more. 


Throughout my career I have won numerous national and international art competitions. I choose not to sell art in a gallery setting but do show my work and occasionally sell it at http://www.zhibit.org/liddiastevens or just type my name in and find the zhibit site and a few others. 


I am honored to be a part of the Parkland Library Art Collection and am especially pleased with the selection of this painting for the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment